Chumkriel Language School
CLS’s concept, establishment and growth were all managed by one inspired Cambodian man who has led by example – Mr Thy. The school is totally run and managed by Cambodians with the exception of one foreign volunteer board member.
The language Schools
Education is a life affirming opportunity. A gift. Chumkriel Language School has been providing education to the local community for over 15 years. The school offers a range of classes and subjects for 110 students who attend during the day. Every evening CLS runs an English language “Evening School” for around 500 adults and children.
The school not only provides the children with the tools they need for a self-directed future, it also aims to improve living standards in the community. For example, the school has assisted some village families with sanitation and housing improvements, partnering in the building outdoor toilets. CLS’ focus is improving the lives of the Chumkriel community now, and for the
Helping the students and the community
In 2005, Mr. Thy, began teaching English after hours to a few children in a small wooden structure. Today, because of the generosity of our donors, CLS has its own dedicated Learning Centre with adjoining covered sporting field and vegetable garden. Its teaching program is integrated with the neighbouring government primary and high school.
During the day, CLS provides basic education in Khmer subjects and English for 110 primary school children and computing classes for students from the government high school. In the evenings, it offers English language classes for over 500 students of all ages.
The vegetable garden’s produce is used in the soup kitchen which provides lunch every day for 35 students who are most in need. This is often the biggest meal they get.
The covered sports field allows sports activities in all weathers protected from the fierce sun and tropical downpours and doubles. It doubles as a school assembly area.
CLS also has a community outreach program, providing housing, toilets, water supplies and bicycles for families in the neighbouring community.
CLS’s philosophy is to help people to help themselves by integrating the basic needs of students and their families with the school’s education program.
The Language School
Guided by a philosophy of “a hand-up rather than a hand-out”, CLS offers:
- Daily classes in both English and in Khmer. These are focussed on employment enhancing English literacy and computer skills. These classes are supplemented with creative activities and information about health and hygiene.
- A library where children are encouraged to strengthen their reading comepance, and to enjoy books.
- Computer classes for secondary school students.
- Evening classes (13 a week) in English attended by around 500 adults and children every week.
- A covered sports field for sports and recreation activities.
- Daily transport to and from school for up to 30 students from the neighbouring salt fields.
- A vegetable garden to teach the children and their parents how to grow vegetables, offering practical skills so families can develop greater food self-sufficiency/security.
- A daily soup kitchen provides a healthy lunch for up to 40 children from the families who often struggle to feed themselves.
- Scholarships for 40 children to attend the government high school, which adjoins the CLS campus, and a further 6 scholarships for selected students to study at university.
- Community outreach projects, providing shelters, toilets, water supplies and bicycles for the most students and their families in greatest need.
All of these facilities and resources are only possible thanks to the support of our generous donors.
Please also visit CLS website at https://chumkriellanguageschool.org/