Chumkriel Language School
CLS’s concept, establishment and growth were managed by one inspired Cambodian, Mr Thy, who has led by example. The school is run entirely by Cambodians, apart from two expatriate members of its Board of Directors.
The Language School
Education is a life affirming opportunity which CLS has been offering to the local community for over 15 years. It offers a range of classes for 100 day students and English language classes of an evening for over 300 children and young adults.
Apart from teaching, CLS has a world-class Community Outreach Program which assists families with sanitation, housing, transport and water supplies, and provides food and medical assistance to families in crisis. This Program will improve the lives of the Chumkriel community now and for the future.
Helping the students and the community
In 2005 Mr Thy began teaching English to children in a small wooden building in Chumkriel. Today, thanks to the generosity of donors, CLS has a dedicated Learning Centre with adjoining sports field and vegetable garden, and a teaching program integrated with the neighbouring government primary and high school.
CLS provides basic education in Khmer and English for 100 primary school children, and computing classes for local government high school students. It offers English language classes of an evening for over 300 students of all ages.
A Soup Kitchen uses the vegetable garden’s produce to provide daily lunch for 30 of the most needy students.
The sports field is used for team sports, and also by individuals and small groups through the day. The covered volleyball and basketball area doubles as a school assembly area.
CLS’s Community Outreach Program provides housing, toilets, water supplies and bicycles for families in the surrounding Chumkriel community.
CLS’s philosophy is to help people help themselves, fostering enthusiasm for learning amongst its students and assisting families who commit to sending their children to school regularly.
The Language School
Guided by “a hand-up rather than a hand-out” philosophy, CLS offers:
- Daily classes in English and Khmer supplemented with creative activities and health and hygiene education.
- A library to encourage reading and enjoyment.
- Computer classes for secondary school students.
- Evening classes in English for over 300 children and young adults.
- A sports field and adjoining volley ball court.
- Daily school transport for up to 30 students from the salt fields.
- A vegetable garden to teach children to grow vegetables so families can develop greater food self-sufficiency.
- A daily Soup Kitchen providing a healthy lunch for 30 children from struggling families.
- Scholarships to attend the government high school which adjoins the CLS campus, and even scholarships to study at university.
- Community Outreach projects providing simple homes, toilets, water supplies and bicycles for students and families with the greatest need.
These initiatives are possible thanks to the support of our generous donors.
Visit the CLS website: https://chumkriellanguageschool.org/